One of the mental illnesses I struggle with is Anxiety Disorder. So, knowing I have all these things I should be doing to make sure I'm not forgetting things and just getting the stuff while I'm away in order, I instead, stress.
My Hubs and kids are very familiar with this ritual.
- I get the suitcase out of the storage room a week before. Thinking, I'll be packed up and ready in no time!
- WRONG! It's still sitting on the floor of the bedroom. I leave in the morning.
- I gather all the toiletries that I have accrued over the several trips. To make it easier to pack.
- WRONG! I feel I should buy ALL new things so I have to go to the store and buy stuff and putting my 'schedule' off course
- Finish the laundry so it's not a total mess for the husband a few days in advance while I'm gone.
- WRONG! I just literally threw the last load of laundry that I NEED before I leave tomorrow. Luckily, Kev is insanely capable of doing the boys and his owns. (sigh of relief)
- Carefully pack my carryon bag so it's easy to manage through if I need it on the flight.
- WRONG! I throw all the shit in a bag and sort it out while waiting for the plane to taxi on the run way.
There are a few other in between things that I am classically known to do as well, but it would make the post super long and therefore creating even more stall time for me.
Bottom Line: Thankful that Kev and the Boys understand me and make me take a breath and help me work through my anxiety attack. They help me make lists and check the little boxes I have next to my list.
And honestly, after it's all said and done and I'm sitting at the gate at the airport I take a deep breath, a xanax and drink some coffee and giggling that I will SO not be like this NEXT time I travel. Oh silly Jen, keep telling yourself that! Wanna see me at this very moment: click here